| 1863 - 1951
||11 Jan 1863
||Warrenton, North Carolina [2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9]
|Travel to Europe
||6 Apr 1914
||London to New York
|Mary(51) and Sallie(33) returned on the SS Minnetonka at the outbreak of WWI. |
|Who's Who entry
||Woman's Who's Who of America: A Biographical Dictionary of Contemporary Women of the United States and Canada,
|Tannahill, Mary Harvey, Van Dyke Studios, 939, Eighth Av., N.Y. City.|
Portrait painter; b. Warrentown, N.C. dau. Robert and Sallie (Sims) Tannahill; ed private N.Y. City school. Has painted miniatures and portraits of many well-known people and exhibited them in public exhibitions in New York and elsewhere. Favors woman suffrage. Christian Scientist
|Travel to Europe
||23 Dec 1923
||Marseilles to New York
|Mary Harvey returned on SS Patria, aged 60. |
||Mary Harvey Tannahill began as a painter of miniatures, exhibiting them at the Philadelphia Society of Miniature Painters in Pennsylvania. She was a long-time member of the arts community in Provincetown, Massachusetts, spending more than thirty summers there. She learned woodcut printing from Blanche Lazzell in the white-line color woodcut style used by Provincetown artists. And, Tannahill was a painter in other media, and a maker of batiks and embroideries, as well. From: www.askart.com |
|From, "Woman's Who's Who of America", 1914-15 |
||Blandford Cemetery Petersburg Petersburg City Virginia, USA
||21 Jun 1951
||Vance, North Carolina 
||Brian's Family Tree
||20 Jan 2011 |
||Robert TANNAHILL, b. 12 Nov 1832, ,,Washington, North Carolina, USA , d. 27 Nov 1883, East Sixty-fifth Street, New York City, New York |
||Sallie J Simms, b. 7 Sep 1838, North Carolina , d. 11 Sep 1908, Englewood, New Jersey, USA |
||5 Oct 1860
||Warren County, North Carolina, USA
» Slide Show
Sallie Belle and Mary Harvey Tannahill sailed home from Europe just as the Great War broke out, passenger list dated 6 September 1914.
Mary arrived in NY from Marseilles, 23 Dec 1923. "Patria" was 11,885 gross tons, length 489.8ft x beam 59.8ft, three funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 17 knots, accommodation for 140-1st, 250-2nd and 1,850-3rd class passengers. Launched on 11th Nov.1913 by Forges & Chantiers de la Mediteranee, La Seyne for the Fabre Line, Marseilles. She started her maiden voyage on 16th Apr.1914 Marseilles, Naples, Palermo and New York and was on the North Atlantic service for much of WWI. On 24th Apr.1931 she started her last voyage from Marseilles to New York, Boston, Azores, Lisbon and Marseilles.
June 1940 laid up at Haifa following the surrender of France. Nov.1940 Entered service under British control and was supposed to leave for Mauritius on 23rd Nov. with 1,900 emigrants from Palestine, but the sailing date was postponed and she waited at Haifa with the emigrants still on board. On the morning of 25th Nov. the ship was wrecked by three explosions, heeled over and lay on her side in shallow water with the loss of 279 lives. The perpetrators of this sabotage were never identified. In 1952 the wreck was scrapped.
||Sisters (1920) by Mary Harvey Tannahill (1863-1951) |
Oil on canvas 32in x 24in, Greenville County Museum of Art, North Carolina, USA
It would be interesting to know whether this represents Mary Harvey Tannahill and her younger sister, Sallie Belle Tannahill (18 years her junior).
- [S499] Ancestry Family Trees, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members.), Ancestry Family Trees.
- [S689] 1900 United States Federal Census, Ancestry.com, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004.Original data - United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Twelfth Census of the United States, 1900. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1900. T623, 18), Year: 1900; Census Place: Englewood Ward 2, Bergen, New Jersey; Roll: T623_954; Page: 6A; Enumeration District: 11..
Name: Mary H TannahillBirth: Jun 1863 in North CarolinaDeath:
- Record originated in...
- [S737] New Jersey State Census, 1895, Ancestry.com, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2007.Original data - New Jersey Department of State. 1895 State Census of New Jersey. Trenton, NJ, USA: New Jersey State Archives. 54 reels.Original data: New Jersey Department of State. 189).
Residence date: Residence place: Englewood
- [S732] U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925, Ancestry.com, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2007.Original data - Passport Applications, 1795-1905; (National Archives Microfilm Publication M1372, 694 rolls); General Records of the Department of State, Record Group 59; National Arc).
Birth date: 11 Jan 1863Birth place: Warrenton, North CarolinaResidence date: Residence place: United States
- [S730] 1910 United States Federal Census, Ancestry.com, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2006. For details on the contents of the film numbers, visit the following NARA web page: NARA.Original data - United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Thirteenth Census of the United), Year: 1910; Census Place: Manhattan Ward 22, New York, New York; Roll: T624_1048; Page: 10A; Enumeration District: 1385; Image: 754..
Birth date: abt 1863Birth place: North CarolinaResidence date: 1910Residence place: Manhattan Ward 22, New York, New York
- [S735] 1920 United States Federal Census, Ancestry.com, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2009. Images reproduced by FamilySearch. For details on the contents of the film numbers, visit the following NARA web page: NARA. Note: Enumeration Districts 819-839 on roll 323 (Chicago C), Year: 1920; Census Place: Manhattan Assembly District 5, New York, New York; Roll: T625_1194; Page: 12A; Enumeration District: 444; Image: 554..
Birth date: abt 1863Birth place: North CarolinaResidence date: 1920Residence place: Manhattan Assembly District 5, New York, New York
- [S734] North Carolina Death Collection, 1908-2004, Ancestry.com, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2007.Original data - North Carolina State Center for Health Statistics. North Caroline Deaths, 1997-2004. North Carolina State Center for Health Statistics, Raleigh, North Carolina.North C), Source Vendor: NC State Archives. North Carolina Deaths, 1908-67; Certificate: ..
Birth date: 1863Birth place: Death date: 21 Jun 1951Death place: Vance, North Carolina
- [S356] New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957, Ancestry.com, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2006.Original data - Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 1820-1897; (National Archives Microfilm Publication M237, 675 rolls); Records of the U.S. Customs Service, R), Year: 1923; Arrival: , ; Microfilm serial: T715; Microfilm roll: T715_3433; Line: 1; List number: ..
Birth date: 1863Birth place: North CarolinaArrival date: 23 Dec 1923Arrival place: New York, New YorkDeparture date: Departure place: Marseille, France